CRAIG D TOBIN
Craig Tobin has been voted, by his peers to "The Best Lawyers in America," "Leading Lawyers", "Leading American Lawyers and Super Lawyers" His impressive trial successes in precedent-setting civil and criminal cases is why he is recognized nationally as one of the best trial lawyers in America.
Craig D. Tobin has once again been selected to the Best Lawyers in America. The law firm of Tobin & Muñoz, LLC has also been selected once again for inclusion in the Best Law Firms in America. Craig and the law firm have received this honor for more than 25 years. The selection process to Best Lawyers in America involves the votes of over 1 million attorneys throughout the United States.
Craig D. Tobin has been selected as an Illinois Super Lawyer again.
Craig D. Tobin has been recommended by his peers has a Leading Lawyer in civil rights/constitutional law, commercial litigation, criminal defense and personal injury.
Tobin has guided numerous clients through cases which attract intensive media coverage and have changed or defined the law.
Tobin began his career in the Cook County Public Defender's Office on the Murder Task Force. He tried numerous capital cases, and achieved an unprecedented number of acquittals in high profile cases. Mr. Tobin is an instructor and faculty member for the National Institute of Trial Advocacy (NITA). NITA is a premier provider of trial skills, training seminars and litigation-related publications for attorneys. He has given numerous lectures on the art of cross-examination and closing arguments.
Tobin founded Craig D. Tobin & Associates in 1985 when he left the Homicide Task Force of the Cook County Public Defender's Office. He was joined by the late Honorable Robert J. Collins (1911 - 1997). For over 25 years, Judge Collins sat as a felony court judge and also heard complex civil litigation. Prior to becoming a judge, Judge Collins was a well respected attorney who was the 1st Assistant United States Attorney for the Northern District of Illinois and an Assistant Corporation Counsel for the City of Chicago. Judge Collins argued landmark cases on behalf of the city before the Illinois and US Supreme Court. Judge Collins was called by bar associations and the Chicago Tribune "the standard by which all other judges are to be measured."
Craig Tobin is regularly featured in publications including the Chicago Tribune and American Bar Journal. He graduated from Chicago Kent College of Law in 1980 with high honors and the University of Illinois/Chicago in 1976 with honors. He is a member of Illinois State Bar Association and the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association (ATLA).
Areas of Practice
- Wrongful Death
- Sexual Harassment
- Products Liability
- Medical Malpractice
- Fiduciary Duty
- Employment Discrimination
- Civil Rights
- Shareholder Derivative Actions
- Shareholder Action
- Securities Arbitration
- Insurance Litigation
- Commercial Disparagement
- Breach of Contract
- Criminal Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Tort Litigation
100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Illinois, 1980
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 1980
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 1980
- Illinois Institute of Technology Chicago-Kent College of Law, Chicago, Illinois
- J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence - 00/1980
- Honors: with High Honors
- University of Illinois, Chicago, Illinois
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts - 00/1977
- Honors: With Honors
- Ebro v. LaPreferida
- Near North Insurance Brokerage
- Jeremiah Mearday
- Demarco Alexander
- Instructor, National Institute for Trial Advocacy, 1989 to 1994
- Lecturer, The Art of Cross-Examination, Training Seminar, Cook County Public Defender, 1992 to 1992
- Speaker, Illinois Continuing Legal Education, 1989 to 1989
- Cross-Examination and Closing Arguments, Illinois Public Defenders Association, 1987 to 1987
- Lecturer, Effective Closing Arguments, Cook County Public Defender's Office, 1983 to 1983
Honors and Awards
- Selected to Illinois Super Lawyers
- Irish Legal 100 – Top 100 lawyers in the United States of Irish decent
- Super Lawyers Illinois Top 100, 2009 and 2010
- National Trial Lawyers Top 100
- National Association of Distinguished Council Top 1%
- Best Lawyers in America
- Leading Lawyers
- Leading American Lawyers
- Legal Leaders Highest Ethical and Legal Ability
- Fellow and State Co-Chair for Litigation Council of America
- Law Bulletin Publishing Company's Leading Lawyers for Criminal Defense, Personal Injury, Civil Rights, and Commercial Litigation
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy, Faculty Member, 00/1989 to 00/1996
- Chicago Bar Association, Member
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Cook County Public Defender's Office, Homicide Task Force, Trial Attorney, 1982 to 1985
- Cook County Public Defender's Office, Felony Division, Trial Attorney, 1980 to 1982